|Title:||Human Resources Generalist|
Who We Are
Founded in 1999, Maryland Coalition of Families (MCF) is a statewide nonprofit with a central office in Columbia, Md., and staff located in communities throughout the state. Using personal experience as parents, caregivers, youth and other loved ones, we connect, support and empower Maryland’s families. Our staff provide one-to-one support to parents and caregivers of individuals with mental health, substance use or gambling challenges. We also advocate to improve systems that impact individuals with behavioral health challenges.
The Human Resources Generalist is responsible for the daily human resources functions throughout MCF. This includes recruiting, hiring, and onboarding new employees, benefits and payroll administration, assisting with employee relations, and compliance. This position offers a hybrid schedule of remote and in office work, and is based out of MCF’s central office in Columbia, MD.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports and enhances a culture that respects and honors diversity, invests in professional development and encourages self-care.
- Supports the organizational priorities for all employees toward continuous process improvement, use of data for informed decision-making and individual accountability.
- Makes recommendations regarding process improvements in HR functions.
Recruiting and Onboarding
- Responsible for full cycle recruitment of all open positions.
- Drafts position descriptions and job postings.
- Develops recruiting strategies and process flow, utilizing automation tools within the applicant tracking system.
- Creates and/or administers onboarding and orientation process for new hires.
Performance Management / Employee Relations
- Supports the administration of the annual performance process.
- Supports supervisors in addressing and managing performance issues.
- Counsels and advises supervisors and employees in accordance with the policies and procedures of the organization.
- Manages administration of employee benefit and wellness programs.
- Assists the Director of Human Resources with open enrollment including evaluation of benefit packages, scheduling and leading open enrollment meetings, ensuring all information is loaded into the online benefits portal, answering employee questions, and processing all changes.
- With oversight from the Director of Human Resources, manages all leave requests and ensures compliance for FMLA, unpaid leave of absence, short- and long-term disability claims and worker’s compensation claims.
- Processes employee benefit elections, changes and responds to employee inquiries and needs.
- Ensures and coordinates data collection and manages ACA reporting.
Payroll, Unemployment and Worker's Compensation
- Creates and maintains employee profiles in payroll system.
- Audits and approves payroll submissions to ensure they are timely, accurate and in compliance with applicable laws.
- Manages and responds to unemployment claims.
- Assists the Director of Human Resources to modify and maintain the employee handbook.
- Ensures that HR, benefits, and compensation practices comply with all applicable employment laws.
- Ensures compliance with specific grant requirements, where applicable, to employment requirements, benefits and/or compensation.
- Maintains knowledge of current regulatory requirements and changes.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in HR or related field, or equivalent experience.
- PHR Certification preferred.
- Minimum of three years of hands-on experience in several key areas of HR, including recruitment, benefit and payroll administration, employee relations, compliance and leave management.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Strong employee relations skills: ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels.
- Strong knowledge of federal, state, and local employment and ACA laws and requirements.
- Proficient using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Outlook.
- Experience with applicant tracking and payroll systems strongly preferred.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced tactical HR environment.
- Experience working with a diverse workforce and in a non-profit environment a plus.
- Successful completion of a background check.
To be considered for this position, submit your resume, along with a cover letter describing your interest in this position and information we won’t find on your resume. Apply on our website at www.mdcoalition.org.
Note: As Maryland’s family support organization, MCF gives preference amongst equally qualified candidates to those who are primary caregivers of a youth, adolescent, or young adult with behavioral health needs.
In line with MCF’s commitment to building a talented and inclusive staff, women, people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination.